Monday, September 10, 2007

Paris -

Yes, I have now been to that restless city, yes I have been to France!

Did I despise it? Oh very much so; as there own writer puts it;

"Yes, I've been to Paris: It's a mixture of everything found in all the Providences. It's a chaos, a restless throng in which everyone is looking for pleasure and hardly anyone ever finds it..."
- Voltaire

Still in doubt?

"....in every province the chief occupations, in order of importance, are love-making, malicious gossip and talking nonsense."

But in all its despicable nonsensicalness, the charm caught me. Yes after just two weeks I might be overheard uttering, "Paris, that city of activity, that city of life, one can not help...". No I cannot bear to hear it. The French are all to arrogant to be the patrons of a loved city. If one loved Paris one would be captured by Paris. An unacceptable defeat for an American man. Really they are the French.

4 comments:

Thomas Banks said...

Good thoughts.

Ibid said...

Paris? It is a waxwork. One finds its pulse only in the very early morning.

Chad Honsinger said...

And its heart at night?

Ibid said...

Yes. Often, it is a cruel heart, though.